Sunday, September 12, 2021

Brain droppings 9/12/21

Everyone should be prioritizing:

  • Their conditioning
  • Their knees, neck, abs, and spinal erectors.

I should never, ever, give anyone fitness advice. Besides the plain fact that I'm a poor model to build off of, the universe tends to break me via a karmic reaction. Me giving advice = me getting hurt. 

One meal a day (OMAD) is fucking fantastic and an easy way to feel great. At my peak last year, I was leaner than my 20s self, had no injuries to speak of, and could visibly see my arms/shoulders stretching my t-shirts. All the while, I thought I was wasting time because I was unable to squat, deadlift, or oly lift. My biggest change was OMAD was a staple in my life. Funny that.

I've never done a deload past my brief jaunt with 5/3/1. I also have failed to make meaningful progress over the past 6 years and have accrued an impressive amount of injuries. I'm sure these things are unrelated.

Daily low impact work feels great on the joints. My right knee went from 'shit do I need surgery' to 'nope I'm fine' in a week. Babying an injury only allows for scar tissue to take up residence.

Most barbell movements just don't feel great anymore. I should feel disappointed but I'm not. I depended on pseudo oly moves (snatch high pulls, power cleans) to feel fast and lean out. While these movements definitely helped from a speed component, they have safer alternatives (see: KB swings, cleans, and snatches) and are overall not needed if I just lose some god damn weight. Seeing video/pics of myself from my height of oly moves, I really was not as lean as I thought I was. Weird enough, I bet if I lost 30lbs, I would get faster. 

I love mythical strength's blog post about granting permission. Do you want to do something? Instead of researching for 10yrs, just try it. I let a Layne Norton video lambasting fasting make me second guess OMAD. Why should I care what the science says when I know fasting feels great, makes me look great, and generally has very little impact on overall performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

humbled

Nothing gets me more interested in programming than getting injured. I look at training modalities like a starving man looks at a Chiles men...