Saturday, February 6, 2021

empathy

It's too easy to get lost in the woods and forget where you came from.

I spent the worse half of an hour describing an unfortunate experience with one of my resources falling well short of my expectations.
- we didn't have a solution 3 months ago, and we dont have one now
- why didnt she call out a product gap and work on defining a solution rather than dig a deeper hole under the guise of 'testing'
- why didnt she trust me

That last one keeps me up at night. When i bring the hammer down, I tell myself that i dont want to do this. I HAVE to do this. The first part is true, the second is full of holes. Im the villain in this story, and its weird to think about. 

Im here to help now, but i need to show up ready to apologize. How many times did my pride also prevent me from giving up and driving a timeline into oblivion? Answer: A fuckton. The fact that i did not have empathy for someone who suffers from the same good intentions is hypocritical at best.

The moral is to try and empathize with people's struggles. This goes double for when they have failed. The goal is not to break people down leaving the cream to rise. The goal is to nurture potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

humbled

Nothing gets me more interested in programming than getting injured. I look at training modalities like a starving man looks at a Chiles men...